Make an instant impact
A gift to an annual fund is the best way that you, as a donor, can make an immediate impact on a student’s life. Wherever you decide to give, whatever the amount, those funds go instantly to assist the area of your choice. This is different from an endowed fund, which is invested and takes time to grow before the benefits are realized.
Help students now
Because of its immediate nature, an annual gift helps those who most need it, when they need it. You can choose a specific school, unit or fund. Alternatively, by selecting the Fund for VCU, you can let us allocate your gift according to the area(s) of greatest need at the time. These areas include:
- Tuition assistance for deserving students
- Programs that enhance academic and student life
- Research, travel and programmatic support for faculty
- Programs that advance our community initiatives
Assistance for vulnerable students
With your annual gift, you can choose to support two universitywide funds that provide critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable students among our population.
- The First Generation Fund supports first-generation students, programs, scholarships and awards.
- About 35% of VCU’s freshmen are the first in their families to attend college. These students face a higher-than-average number of obstacles, from financial to social and linguistic. Many even lack support and encouragement at home. This fund provides needed support to ensure these students know someone believes in their success.
- The VCU Student Emergency Fund provides limited financial assistance to currently enrolled VCU students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an unexpected situation. The fund is designated to offset a short-term financial need and is not intended to replace or supplement financial aid. Funds are awarded as a grant, and unlike a loan, do not need to be repaid. Funds may count as income and may be subject to federal and/or state taxes.
How can I make my gift?
The most common and quickest way to support any of these funds is by giving online. Or you might prefer to mail a check, send gifts of stock or make an estate gift. Every gift matters, no matter how you give or how much you give.
Make checks payable to Virginia Commonwealth University and mail to:
Virginia Commonwealth University
Attn: Gifts and Records Management
Richmond, VA 23284-0441